Friday, October 28, 2016

Interview with Sam Malley

Sam Malley is an actor based in Birmingham who has starred in numerous theatre productions, short films and web series. He first caught the public eye in 2013 where he was cast as the villainous Bean in Fantastic Mr. Fox. Since then, he has gone on to play many complex characters both on stage and screen. He has trained in Stage Combat at Birmingham School of Acting in Rapier and Dagger, and Broadsword and is trained on stilts.



How did you get involved in Acting?

"I’ve always performed ever since I was five years old, performing in school plays. But the moment I started getting seriously involved was back in 2013, I was cast in Roald Dahls ‘Fantastic Mr Fox’ at The Crescent Theatre in Birmingham. It was at that moment when I was about to step onto the stage on opening night that I knew acting was the job for me."

What’s been the biggest surprise or challenge about working as an actor?

"The biggest challenge for me is to always be doing something. It’s the hardest industry to get work in as it is never consistent and as a starting out actor in the industry it’s difficult to get a foot in the door. You have to persevere if you want to make a name for yourself, take any opportunity that comes your way."

Do you have a preference for theatre, TV or film?

"Film for me by far. I love the art of cinema. I always remember being a child watching action movies like ‘The Matrix’ wishing I could do those things. I love the feeling of being able to really get to grips with a character and the smallest emotions can be huge to the camera that’s what makes it feel real. Then being able to have people see the work not only that I have done but the director, writer and rest of the crew. Film is in its own world to me; the technology, the effects, the story making it all creates something so unique and captivating that makes me want to leave work that people can still watch and love in years to come."

What’s your dream role at the moment? 

"At the moment, it’s got to be the joker from Batman, I’m a massive fan of the character. His characteristics and lifestyle are so bizarre that make me want to play him on screen. I’ve seen portrayals of the joker from Mark Hamill in the animated series to the great Heath Ledger in The Dark Night. It’s a character that really entices you and to play that character would be a dream come true. "


Your all time favorite actors?

"I have a few so I’ll narrow it down. My favourite actor is Christian Bale, all the work he does I never see him, I always see the character as he creates a great sense of believability to the audience, he’s sublime by far my favourite actor. Second, has to be Benedict Cumberbatch. As a fan of film and theatre he ticks both boxes with ease for me. Seeing him portray Hamlet for the National theatre was a mesmerising experience and something I will never forget.  Third is Jared Leto, amazing screen actor who brings characters to life with ease and conviction. He’s the lead in my favourite film ‘Requiem for a dream’ amazing!"

What is the Greatest Decade for Film?

"I really can’t decide on this. I’m going to have to say after 2010. The reason is because of the advance in camera technology, and computers. Films have started to create mind blowing experiences for audiences. Not only the technology but the amount of talent coming through is insane, with actors, directors and writers. They are able to create better characters, be able to experiment more and have less restrictions, making the stories they tell feel like you’re in a different reality."


Who would be your dream crew?

"My director without a doubt, is Darren Aronofsky. For creating Requiem for a dream.He is a great film maker with a brilliant vision for screen. The actor I would love to work with is Heath Ledger, he was a sublime actor who sadly was taken from us. I know he had so much more to give and the joker is now his legacy. To be given the chance to work with him would be a dream come true. To work with writer Terrence Winter (Wold of wolf street) would be amazing as he produced a screenplay that was captivating to audiences. Of course, I can’t say no to Quentin Tarantino either. An all-round amazing film maker of his generation, sticks to what he knows and always delivers every time without fail!"

And finally, Give me a few tips to be a successful actor?

"Networking, first thing I got told. If you want to make it in this Industry you have to go out there and meet new people. Get contacts as these people can be your friends, directors and cast members in the future. Networking is something every actor has to do. Secondly, always stay busy. It’s what a lot of actors find hard when work is’nt coming their way and as a young actor starting out I’ve had this many times already. Look for short courses, read plays, see shows. Train your craft and improve yourself and don’t ever stop looking for the work. I’m currently training in stage combat at Birmingham School of Acting, with the training from there I will be better equipped for more advanced roles which require combat."



No comments:

Post a Comment